Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Lovely Day

I have been wanting to try out a Black Out Poem technique for a while now. I believe Austin Kleon was the inventor of this unique art. I decided to give it a go in my art journal.

I tore out some book pages and boxed in a few words. I then adhered them to my journal. I covered up the pages with a coat of white gesso, leaving those few words uncovered. The words say "As he walked a simple tune played. Yeah I hoped it was a lovely day".

I then applied a layer of modeling paste and while it was still wet made vertical grooves in it. This idea came from a France Papillon art journal spread.

I then applied distress ink around the edges of my page. I used some masking fluid on my uncovered words before I spritz with Dylusions Ink Spray and Daler Rowney Acrylic Ink. After the ink was dry I peeled off the masking fluid. As you can see the masking fluid worked pretty well.

I decided to go around the torn edges of my book paper with a charcoal pencil to add some more interest and texture to the page.

Lastly I sewed together some burlap and some cheese cloth. I used Black Soot Distress Stain to grunge up the cheese cloth a bit.

I am submitting this page to the 13 Arts Textures and Layers Challenge. Be sure to stop on over there for even more texture fun! As always thanks so much for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the fantastic tutorial, we all learned something new today! what a great take on the challenge too. thanks for joining us at 13@rts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting tutorial Stacy. Thank you for sharing it with us! Thanks for playing with 13arts' challenge :)

    ReplyDelete