Friday, April 24, 2015

Experimenting with Fabric Scraps

I have been working with lots of fabric lately. I made a King and a Queen size comforter and have lots and lots of fabric scraps left over. I decided to experiment with scraps of fabric and art journaling.

I started by spreading on some joint compound and then embedded the fabric scraps into it.

Once this was dry (about 24 hours) I went over it with some white Gesso. After the Gesso was dry I applied some gloss medium to seal everything in. I was really happy with the texture of this.

Now for the fun part - the painting. I used several colors of acrylic paint and some glazing medium to finish the background.

This page was quite heavy, so I did not want to add too much more bulk to it. I decided to cut some flowers out of Crinoline (a light weight stiff fabric) using the Tim Holtz Tattered Floral Die. I then used a stamp and some black Archival Ink to add some more interest to the flowers. I went around the edges with some burnt umber paint, crinkled the flowers up a bit and then adhered them to the page. I added some pearl paint to the center of each flower.

Here's another look at the texture of the page. I really like how this came out and will definitely be experimenting more with this. The down side is that this adds quite a bit of weight and thickness to your art journal pages (it might be better used on a canvas).

I am submitting this to the Artistic Stamper's Flora and Fauna Challenge. Thanks so much for stopping by and be sure to check out the challenge for more wonderful creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment