I have a bit of an obsession with old books. My local library practically gives them away and they are hard for me to pass up. So when an altered book swap came up this month over at Art for the Creative Mind I had to join in the fun. You can see a few of the pages I had previously finished here.
I started by gluing. Lots, and lots, and lots of gluing pages together. Then a few cuts for the niches so the matchbook drawers would slide in and out. Next step more gluing.
After all of the glued pages were dry I was ready for the fun part, decorating. I had the idea to make a set of pages resemble that of an old photo album.
I used the Tim Holtz Vintage Cabinet Card die to die cut a piece of chip board. I inked the chipboard up with various colors of Distress Ink. Next step was to add some gold around the edges. I did this with Rub n Buff. It still needed something so I added a few embossed swirls.
A piece of vintage lace and some Prima embellishments finished the page off nicely.
On the next set of pages, I decided to use some left over scraps of paper that I had laying around.
The only thing was the scraps of paper really looked way to new. So I used the Tim Holtz Papilion stamp with Gathered Twigs Distress stain and stamped in random areas on the paper. I also used the chicken wire stamp from the Tim Holtz Mixed Media stamp set with a gold paint dabber. Next I went over the paper with various colors of Distress Ink. You can hardly recognize what it originally looked like.
I transferred some images from Victorian Vignettes onto some sticky back canvas. To add a bit more interest I framed one in lace died with Tea Dye Distress Stain.
The paper flowers are fancy cut out of another scrap of paper and sprayed with Perfect Pearls.
I used Tim Holtz Trimmings died with Tea Dye and Broken China Distress Stains to finish off the bottom of the pages.
The cover took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do.
I decided to used Ranger Foil Tape embossed with the Tim Holtz Regal Flourishes Embossing Folder. Next I added a wash of watered down brown acrylic paint. After this was dry I used various colors of Alcohol inks just lightly tapping the raised areas.
The image of the couple is from Graphic Fairy. I decided to frame it using a piece of Grunge paper and the Tim Holtz Book Cover Embossing Folder. I then inked the frame with various colors of Distress Ink. I highlighted the embossing by just lightly going over the raised surface with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.
I had bought a bag of small wooden discs a while back at a woodworking shop. I decided to use these for my title. I painted the discs with blue acrylic paint and then sanded some of the edges up revealing the raw wood. I then went over then with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. Next I stamped the letters L-O-V-E on each disc using my Gold Paint dabber.
Lastly a piece of lace ribbon ties the entire book together. I am submitting this to the Frilly and Funky Spruce it Up Challenge. I think the book really did need a bit of a makeover and I am very happy with how it turned out.
I hope you enjoyed my Altered Book with drawers. It was quite a bit of work, but a lot of fun to create. As always thanks for stopping by!