I no longer had the box that all of the little boxes came in and decided to use them with a canvas piece instead. I painted the outside of the boxes using various colors of paint dabbers. After the paint was dry I sanded down some of the areas and ink it with Walnut Stain Distress ink so they looked a bit worn.
I finished off the boxes according to the instructions in the Compendium of Curiosities II. I then glued the boxes together in the configuration I wanted.
I then went over different areas with modeling paste, stencils, and Distress Ink to add some texture. For the final touch I used the Mixed Media Stamp collection and Peeled Paint, Weathered Wood, and Walnut Stain Distress ink to stamp various images randomly onto the canvas.