Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happily Trapped

These little mouse traps are so fun to alter. The idea came from a few different people. I think Suzy was the one that came up with this clever idea and then Shelly really added a grungy spin to them. When I saw then I just had to try my hand at them.

After all of the metal parts were removed I used Distress Stain to  cover up all of the lettering. I then added some tissue tape to one and the other a torn piece of paper. I inked the edges of the torn paper and the tissue tape with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

I had some leftover Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante Paper and decided to do a steampunk theme on one of the traps.

I wanted to make the gears look rusted and worn so I added some Distress Embossing powder to parts of the gears and used paint on various parts of the gears. I used UTEE on the circle embellishment to add a bit of shine. I had found some springs at the hardware store and was not sure what I was going to use them on at the time, but I think I found the perfect place for them. I just love how they look poking out. To finish the ends off I adhered 2 metal buttons. The springs and buttons are inked up with various colors of Alcohol ink to make them blend in with the rest of the piece.

I cut a gear out of Grunge board using Tim Holtz's Gadget Gear Die. Of course i had to grunge the gear up a bit using a Gold Paint dabber, Black Soot Distress Stain, and Terra Cotta Paint Dabber. I also roughed it up a bit by sanding the gear in a few areas. The ideology wings are colored using Alcohol ink. And the last touch to the topper is an embellishment form Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante that I applied Rock Candy distress Crackle to.

The second trap is a bit more feminine with brighter colors.

The flower was made using Wendi Vechi's Clearly for Art Modeling Film. I cut the Film using Tim Holtz's Tattered Florals Die. I then used Alcohol Ink to color the flowers.

The butterflies were cut out of Grunge Paper using Tim Holtz's On the Edge Butterflight Die. Since they are made out of Grunge Paper they are flexible and can be bent so they look like they are flying off.  I then added some bright colors to them using Distress Stains. For an added texture I used Rock Candy Crackle over the butterflies.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed!

10 comments:

  1. Love these! The gear on the first one looks amazing - it all looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are awesome! Great job!
    Gail in Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just fabulous. I have never thought of doing this sort of thing. I need to go buy some mousetraps when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out great, Stacy! I really love them. Great mix of papers and stamping, and the butterflies are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your traps are very cool. I especially love all the details on the steampunk version. Your rusted look came out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the details on these traps! Very nice steampunk pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love those note traps!....what a terrific idea! My fave is the Steampunk one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this idea and sent it to my blog !

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE these especially the purple flowers!

    ReplyDelete